How could I not love a book about a female werewolf? But saying it that way makes it sound all cheesy and badly plotted like most horror novels are (not all, I said most). This was a fantastic book though!
Just how fantastic was it? Well, I read it in two days. That's unusual for me. I am usually reading three books concurrently and take an average of a week to finish any one of them. I started this one during one of my March trips and stayed up till after midnight (when I should've been reading more important things) just to finish it. That's how much I enjoyed it.
Sure, the plot's not super complex, though I had to dig the fact that she's a Canadian female werewolf living in Toronto when the book starts (how cool is that?), but it was the story that kept me going. A friend says she figures the sex scenes are the best she's ever read. I don't know about that (not that any others come immediately to mind), but there were some very nicely written scenes, and some of the best confrontation scenes I've ever read.
I wish I had a good excuse to write about this book (there's a series as well apparently) 'cause there's some really interesting but also fun stuff going on in it. Traditionally, werewolves are male, both in myth and in this particular book - she's the only female werewolf in existence. Werewolves are rarely made werewolves, they're usually born to werewolf fathers - the narrator/female werewolf talks about there only being a handful of made werewolves because most people who are bitten either don't survive the bite or can't handle the psychological effects of the change. They can control it to a degree, but they need to transform at least once a month to feel healthy.
Another feature of the werewolves in this novel is that they form a pack, with a few outsiders, usually werewolves whose fathers have chosen to leave the pack for some reason. There's an intense loyalty within the pack, and as a female werewolf, the narrator is part of that loyalty, but also separate and unique in her status as a female werewolf.
Very interesting story premise and I'm looking forward to reading the sequel.