Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Absalom, Absalom! William Faulkner

Yep, another Faulkner book. This one was very different from the earlier one in that the story provided an overload of information where As I Lay Dying left you in the dark sometimes, trying to figure out what was going on behind the scenes. This one did that too on occasion, but if you missed it the first time (which was easy to do), you still would get it by the second, or third, or fourth iteration.

At one point, one of the early narrators says that some stories can be told in three words, and for those stories three words would be too many, but other stories might be told in three thousand words and those three thousand words wouldn't be enough. I think that's a really good way of describing Faulkner's writing in general, and more specifically, the difference between these two texts.

The story is all recollection, with the activities of the various narrators who tell the older story playing a small and for the most part (except at the very end) unimportant role in the way the novel is put together. It questions the construction of history through the multiple narrations - at times, several events are told from multiple perspectives, with an extreme case of narrator embellishment when a character who has only heard the story, begins to tell the rest of it, even though he has never heard anyone tell how it ends.

The Faulkner course is over now, so I doubt I'll read more of his work, but I'm going to continue to try to add American writers to the list of texts I'm familiar with.